Jim Gay talked about cleaning up and making your code more understandable through DCI (Data, Contect and Interaction.) Jim discussed delegation, extending classes and gave us one of the best programming quotes we’ve ever heard. ‘Your brain is the first compiler, you should optimize for that.’ Jim also discussed how DCI makes testing, thinking about the project and bringing new people on to the project much much easier.
Jim also offered the watchers of the podcast a discount if you want to read more about it. Just head over to the clean ruby website and use the code
- John Carmack – He has joined Oculus Rift as CTO.
- Paradise Porter – MmMmMmm beer.
- Kinesis Keyboard – Ergonomic keyboard.
- Surge Conf – Awesome tech conference in the DC/Baltimore area.
- More Beer – Now open on the east coast.
- [Surrounded Gem] – Awesome gem.
- Rubydcamp – Best ruby conference ever.
- Uncle Bob – Uncle Bob’s phenomenal talk Architecture the Lost Years.
- Kingdom Rush – Fun tower defense game.
- RubyFlow – Great way to get your ruby content out to the world.
- [Rails API] – A more lightweight version of Rails for using as an API.
Audio Now Available
We’ve had requests to make the hangout available in audio format for listening on your commutes to work and we’ve listened!